A Bit of Patience Pays

Things have been pretty slow at my permanent blind setup the last few weeks. While there are still plenty of Goldfinches around, they prefer the feeders in the more open area of our back yard whereas the blind is in a small copse of Douglas Firs. On Friday, I went out about 7:00 and stayed until 8:30 without a single bird showing up. I went back to the house and took care of some chores and about 10:30 I decided to see if the birds would be more interested in using the bathing pools after they’d had their breakfasts. Luckily, it was an overcast morning, so the light wasn’t harsh.

The second time out, I sat in the blind until 10:52 when four Dark-eyed Juncos showed up. In rapid succession thereafter I had four Chestnut-backed Chickadees, a single Black-throated Gray Warbler, a Red-breasted Nuthatch, a Wilson’s Warbler, two Orange-crowned Warblers(?), a Brown Tree Creeper on the Douglas fir behind the pools, Several Black-capped Chickadees, more Chestnut-Backed Chickadees and a single Goldfinch. By 11:21 it was all over the the place was empty again. In under half an hour, I took over 800 shots of 9 different species. It was a wonderful and completely unexpected late summer treat.

Here’s my favorite of the shots I processed thus far.

20180831-_7D26542yardbirds-Editlarge%20npn

Good to see you on the new NPN, Dennis. I was missing your bird shots, but looks like you were out taking lots of new shots of them. So looking forward to seeing them. This one is gorgeous. I love that it is looking down into the water, as if checking his reflection to make sure all of his feathers are in place. :slightly_smiling_face: Great composition, details and color. I wish whatever that is on the rock to the rear and left of the bird’s head wasn’t there, as I find my eye wanting to leave the bird and go check it out. Looks like a piece of brown string. If it doesn’t bother anyone else, then it could just be me, that I noticed it and now I am checking it out! Great shot. Looking forward to lots more!

Thanks, Shirley. I should probably replace that rock with another one. What looks like a brown string is a quarts seam in the rock. It’s interesting what you learn about light values when you put together a pond. All of a sudden, I’m looking for dull black rocks everywhere.