A Break Of Light

2-17-2019

On a subzero morning in Colorado, the fog and low cloud cover stuck around well into sunrise. I stood around for a few hours for the peaks to unveil themselves as light snow fell around me. The mountain began to appear at times but it became a waiting game as I needed the light to simultaneously hit each vocal point to really drive this image. As time passed, I tinkered with my composition and ultimately flipped my camera into a vertical position. Quickly realizing that after all good light had faded this image now relied on black and white and I knew it had potential if everything came together. I was pleasantly rewarded in the end with a balance of light and some cloud structure. Landscape photography is all about patience and going with the flow.

Thanks and I hope you enjoy!

Sean

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Single shot, 150mm, F11, 1/125sec

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

#ig: @seannthom

Please do not critique this image. Galleries are for sharing and discussion only.
5 Likes

What a fantantastic composition!!! Great job on filling the frame with the subject!!!

Thank you Jose!

It looks and feels like a cold Colorado morning in the mountains.

1 Like

I love the lighting on the ridge and how the treeline subtly mirrors the shape of the peak.

The main reasons why I liked this image so much. Thanks Cameron!

Wonderful light, detail and the V formation of the dark trees just really makes the image. Black and White was a great choice.

Thank you Kathy. I had another shot where there was light falling on one side of the trees but it was distracting and unnecessary.

Superb photograph. Beautiful tones and very nicely processed. Excellent framing and an excellent image. Well done.