A different view of a butterfly

A different view of a butterfly

With the tons of rain we go this summer there has been a boom of butterflies, they are everywhere. I caught a different angle of this butterfly. I did crop here some so it can be adjusted.

Specific Feedback Requested

Should the ant go? Anything else

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 90D Canon 100-400 ii at 220mm 1/160 f/16 ISO 500, The flower was on a bank so could so moving around was not much of an option

1 Like

A nice face on view of this BF, Dean. I had to keep staring at it at first to figure out the wing position, but I think it is the one that’s closest to the camera that “seems” shorter than other one, but it is just the angle that you shot it, I think. Nice details in him and the bloom. I’m so glad to hear that you are getting lots of BF’s this year. That makes it nice to go out and photograph.

Hi Dean,

Although I prefer the wings to be in total focus, I believe that the upward angle of the wings and sharp body focus make this a very successful image. The dark BG complements the subject well. Well done…Jim

Thanks @Jim_Zablotny and @Shirley_Freeman There was like 100 butterflies in the small area and the gardens staff said never in the history have they seen that many. One trick I learned from a class was to darken and desaturate only the background. Photoshop has a object selection tool now. So I just drew a circle around the butterfly and flowers. Photoshop selected it well and I inverse the selection and used curves and saturation adjustments. This is supposed to bring out the subject in this case

1 Like

You did bring out the subject very well – a brighter and more saturated BG would have competed with the BF.

Hi Dean, nice front side view of a real beauty. Colors look nice. Nicely done.