A New Jersey Pine Barrens Cedar Swamp

I live and mostly photograph in the New Jersey Pine Barrens which is a flat, wet coastal wilderness area. One of the features of this region are the Atlantic White Cedar swamps. They are thick with trees that create a dense forest canopy causing some interesting light. This is a 2 image panorama (Manual blend of 2 horizontal images). Canon 5DIV, 24-70mm @ 70mm

I’m interested in any technical feedback

I’d also like to your feedback of the composition and mood the processing of this image gives you.

Because this area is flat without distinguishing features like mountains and valleys, landscape photography here is more challenging. How does the subject of an image like this hold up, in your opinion, to those made in more traditionally scenic spots.

3 Likes

Rich, this is super gorgeous and I wish I have taken this image. It looks like of two universes merging into one. The tree in the middle acts like a gateway between the two. There is only one suggestion from me: I would definitely try to tone down the highlights in the sky reflection in the water, about 1/3 of the way from the left at the bottom edge of the frame.

This holds up just fine for me, Rich. I always enjoy seeing something new instead of the icons. The light in this scene is sublime; particularly on that grouping of trees on the right; and compliments the moody mysterious feel to this scene and the reflections are a real treat as is the fog. My only suggestion would be to tone down the bright area of sky just a touch as it does catch my eye a little. I hope to see more of your images from the Pine Barrens.

I have always wondered what it would be like to photograph in the barrens as I only live a couple of hours away.

Oooh, this is lovely! The mood is mysterious, yet welcoming. The foggy atmosphere and all those vertical trees on the right give it mystery (the vertical trees are even a bit ominous). The warm tones of the grass and the waterway leading to the light make it more welcoming. The tension between those moods is quite interesting. I love the composition and balance.

I rather like the really bright sky in the back, as it leads the eye into the frame. The only little nit I have is the strong contrast and dark orange tones in the grasses. I feel like in the foggy atmosphere, those grasses wouldn’t have such strong contrast. This may be a matter of taste, so take it or leave it. :slight_smile: And welcome to NPN!

I like to mood presented by the image. I can’t decide if the left third of the image contributes to the overall image or if it detracts from it. I am also undecided if the tree trunks and their reflections are slightly too bright. Nevertheless, this is a very nice and moody image.

Beautiful image, Rich. I love the dreamy mood and almost painterly look. I would agree with @Izzy about toning down the reflection of the sky in the water, but minor stuff. A most enjoyable scene.

Rich, this image is a great example of the benefits of shooting subjects that are close to home. The internet is flooded with shots of Delicate Arch and Grand Teton. I love to see images from places and subjects that are less well known and under-appreciated. Shooting at places like the Pine Barrens can still lead to high impact images if done well.

The mood of this image is wonderful. I like the duality of the bright on the left, and the dark on the right. Sometimes images like this might draw the comment that this is really two images competing with each other. But in this case I think the two halves of the image work well together, my eye keeps moving back and forth between the halves. The base of the trees on the right are bright enough that my eyes ping pong between them and the light in the left half.

Interestingly, while your image works well as presented, I also think each half of this image would work effectively as a standalone image (albeit with very different moods). I am especially intrigued by the right half cropped as shown in my rework below. Intimate landscapes like this can also
have high impact, and tell meaningful nature stories about places such as the Pine Barrens. Mountains are not required :grin:

I agree with Ed about there being two standalone images here. But I prefer the left one with the two white trunks acting as gateposts that invite you to search inwards.

Most fog pictures are high toned so this is different. It is an interesting effect. I do agree that the browns are a bit strong.