A Pile of Alligators

I never checked how many alligators were at the Alligator Farm, but I would guess in the hundreds. They were captive and regularly fed, unlike the birds in the rookery overhead. They were also large and scary. While I was there, the male alligator chorus of 15 to 20 males bellowed out a mating call that was, to say the least, very impressive. You could see the water vibrating underneath the boardwalk.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

If I had thought about it, I would have blended several images to stretch the DOF. Or upped the ISO to 800 to get a smaller focal opening.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I’m not sure there is any art involved:grimacing:

Any pertinent technical details:

Camera Info: Nikon D750, HH, braced on railing
Lens: VR 300mm f/4E + 1.4x TC
Focal Length: 420mm
Focus Mode: AF-C
AF-Area Mode: Group Area AF
VR: ON
Aperture: f/7.1
Shutter Speed: 1/640s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Metering: Matrix
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 400
Full frame
PP in LR/PS CC 2019, Topaz Studio, TK Sharpen for Web @ 45%

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Quite the scary stack of critters! I would agree with your take on expanding the DOF. It would improve the image.

A very interesting image, Phil. My only experience with these was on Mike Ramy’s spring break trip a few years ago, and they certainly didn’t congregate like this. I agree with the idea of more dof. As for the image as taken, you might do some cropping and selective adjustments to emphasize that one alligator that’s side on and giving you eye contact. With the right touch, I think you could make it look rather menacing.