A Sea Lion is Never Alone at the Hatchery

There are thousands of seagulls waiting for scraps as the Sea Lions feed on the incoming Pink Salmon at the hatchery. It’s actually extremely difficult to get a photo of a Sea Lion without a gull in it!

Specific Feedback Requested

This is actually a perfectly level photo (I used the level indicator in the camera). The stream embankment is at an angle (with the left side further away) so the false horizon makes it look like the image is tilted. The question: Should I rotate the image to make it look level based on the false horizon or should I leave it to reflect the actual level?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony a6500, SEL70200GM @ 198 mm, ISO-320, f/4, 1/2500, hand held.

@garyminish
1 Like

I like the shot, Gary. Quite an amazing contrasts in size between the Sea lion’s head and the gull (Glaucous?) just above it. I sometimes straighten jetties if and when they they bother me . Usually I’m the tilted one. You might have a little way to go and the gulls on the water might look like they are pointing up hill, but you don’t know til you check it. I wasn’t bothered by it though. Nice action scene all the same. And in the large image you get a good crisp look at the lion and his whiskers

Hi Gary, it’s a wonderful capture!
I really wonder how you have got so many Gulls at the right places :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Great techs & wonderful execution :heavy_heart_exclamation:

Just got lucky with this shot. Didn’t even have to do any cloning or cropping :slight_smile: