A touch of color

Description: A touch of color barely reaches the clouds as we patiently wait for the clouds to clear. In hind site…I am glad the clouds hung around.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Any and all comments, suggestions, and critiques welcomed.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D750 w/ Tamron 24-70mm f/14 2.5 seconds ISO 100

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.p @jonwhitaker
4 Likes

Hi Jon - I’m glad they hung around, too. It makes this a much more interesting image IMO. The deep colors and dim light set off the clouds quite well and I like where you placed the bit of rocky beach on the left. The hard line of right side the mountain looks a little odd - as if you did some masking of the sky there and it bled into the edge of the rock a little. Overall though I like it - the level of contrast and the color cast reminds me of film.

I like this very much. We’re not seeing as many grand landscapes these days as members are shifting their interests. But this is a really moody one and conveys a lot of emotion.

I remember being a little disappointed when we left the location that we didn’t get the light I was hoping for but when I got the images on the computer I was pleasantly surprised.

I have looked at the line dozens of time. I didn’t do any masking at all and believe it or not…that light is in the raw file as well. There is a well defined row of trees on that ridge that you can see when you zoom in on the full res image. I might play around with the and try to blend it in somehow.

Thanks for the feedback!!!

Thank you!!! With this being my first trip to the area I couldn’t help but photography these grand scenes. Looking forward to another trip as soon as I can get out there!

The warm glow is lovely, as is the entire composition. The colors are beautiful, reminiscent of the control an artist would have on a canvas! I wonder, though, about a little more detail in the darks in the trees.

Nice work Jon, this image has an almost painterly look to it. The luminosity in the sky sort of has that Hudson River School of landscape painting look to it. I like the glow that you have in the clouds. The composition feels pretty well balanced. Including the entire shoreline in the lower right corner (LRC) is a good choice, although I wish you had shown slight more of the LRC shoreline, maybe you have it if you cropped this some.

The high contrast look works well in the sky and mountain, but I agree with @Diane_Miller about hoping to see a bit more shadow detail in the dark trees. While I think the high contrast look works well here, sometimes getting aggressive with contrast can create halos along horizons, even if you did not blend exposures. That is possibly what @Kris_Smith spotted. I’d suggest zooming in really close and applying some very slight blurring to soften that edge a bit. If we are noticing it here, it would really stand out in a large print.

Thank you!

I will play around with those trees.

Thanks!!!

I was battling eliminating several other photographers in the LRC. I tried removing them but it was not producing a very clean look…so I cropped it to where it is now.

Thanks again for the great suggestions!

Sadly, that makes sense. I used to love photographing in the national parks of the American west. But they have become so overrun that I just don’t enjoy shooting at the popular spots anymore.

This is beautiful, Jon. I had a similar experience on my trip to the Tetons in 2018. I ended up processing the photo that I got on a similar morning in black and white since I didn’t get much color. However, I’m wondering now if I should revisit the color image. I like how the clouds add an element of mystery to the image as they partially veil the familiar profile of the peaks.