A wood hyacinth's river

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All feedback is so welcome!

I made the background a little blurry to get some more contrast with the foreground

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Marvelous. It’s like a glacier or river of flowers flowing through the trees. I think that I would have preferred the foreground flowers not be in sunlight. The contrast in that region due to sunlight hides some of their beauty.

Hi Ben,

For me the strength of this shot is the diagonal line of flowers and the soft light on the trunks. I like how you haven’t included too much of the trunks and are asking the viewer to “fill in the rest”.

I agree with @Igor_Doncov with the foreground light. Fo me it the luminosity of the lower fame disrupts the flow slightly. I’d consider buying down the foreground a touch.

This “river” of flowers is quite spectacular. Like both @Igor_Doncov and @Nathan_Klein, I am a bit torn on the lighting in this scene. One one hand, I love the warm side light on the tree trunks, and the way that contrasts with with the blue of the shaded flowers. On the other hand, I think the light on the foreground flowers does compete with the great light on the trees. So the light here both helps and hurts the composition as presented. I do think this would be an interesting place to shoot on an overcast day, but then you would lose the light on the trees. I think the best compromise would be to crop the image above to exclude the sunlit flowers in the foreground.

1 Like

Ben, this river is very engaging. Like the others, I was struck by the lighting. I tried burning the bright areas, which also saturated the warmth of them. The result suggests sunset colors. The attached revision is laden with a few overly burned flowers, but is offered to you.

@Igor_Doncov, @Nathan_Klein, @Ed_McGuirk, @Dick_Knudson. Thank you all for these comments and the idea from Igor. I went at work with that idea an I hope you all like the way I tried to solve the the sunlight part.And brought back the color in the foreground. I solved it with frequent separation and a small freehand vignette. (TK7).

3 Likes

Ben,
This is lovely and I think your last repost has tamed those FG highlights perfectly. This does indeed look like a river of flowers.

1 Like

I love your repost. It now feels very balanced. Wonderful sense of flow.

1 Like