Abstract Alternatives

Abstract Alternatives

We set aside a day and a half in White Sands National Monument on our cross country jaunt, but were pretty well beat up by the forces of nature and civilization. We were rained out our first evening, and the next morning had to arrive midday due to a road closure for a rocket launch. Then we had bald blue skies with glaring light and virtually no color for our final evening. Ah well… This is my old stomping ground, having grown up close enough for school field trips, so I know the area fairly well. We spent our midday hanging around waiting for evening and shadows, but knew not to expect much in the final hour or so.

With my general taste for abstract and impressionist paintings, I devoted myself to looking past the iconic views in search of the intimate and unusual. Sand pocked from rainfall, newly formed dune crests and growing shadows kept me entertained.

This has been processed only in ACR, all I’m willing to do on a laptop in a hotel room. My abstract afternoon has given me lots more to play with once I get home. If I find an opportunity I’ll post a few more. They’re all about shape and texture and light, so don’t expect to see much horizon in any of them!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Hand held with a Nikon D7200 and 24-120mm f/4 lens.

Please do not critique this image. Galleries are for sharing and discussion only.
1 Like

Very intriguing image - well done!
Sandy

You’ve got to like all the textures as well as the patterns of light and shade - and how you sense the softness of the sands. Very appealing image, Hank !