After the Feast

My third natural still life - this time a triple cluster of beaked hazelnuts after the squirrels were done with them. See why we never get any? A triple cluster!!

Serendipity placed this slightly dried maple leaf in my path and I chose it for the bowl if you will. Then it went on a rock on the hill next to the house. Lit with an LED panel set to a warm tone, I did a session of focus bracketing. In processing it’s a little Breugel-esque possibly in color tone, if not in subject matter.

I like it for its austere qualities, but yet the warmth of the overall palette counteracts that a little.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any overall thoughts or ideas for improvement are fine.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Camera on tripod, LED panel on Gorilla Pod. 15 image focus bracketing session using +4 step & 0/-+ method.

Lightroom for initial adjustments - wb, white & black points, clarity & sharpening. Zerene for stacking - PMax output with some retouching, but not much. Lr for color correction and a bit of a crop and some brushwork to manage the light better as it falls on the different parts of the scene. Photoshop to remove a distraction.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

Kris, I like this. The colors just work so well together, even the greens and browns on the rock. At first, I thought maybe the top left corner was a bit distracting with the darkness, but the more I view the image, it is kind of off set with the bottom right corner, if that makes sense. Anyway, I really like this. The leaf makes for a nice bowl.

1 Like

I agree with @Shirley_Freeman , I really like the warm colors and the placement of the subject as well, neat idea for a still life.

Kristen …love the concept…nice piece of work
Balan Vinod

Thanks everyone. They’re a little out of my normal purview, but I like doing them.

Kris: A very nice arrangement and a fine result. I don’t do a lot of stuff like this but enjoy it and you’ve stimulated me to consider some arrangements myself. Nicely done. >=))>

Thanks Bill. Nice to see you back on the site for a bit. I know you’re busy and so it’s flattering that you’ve taken the time to comment here. I’m not great at thinking outside of the box sometimes. I’m a linear thinker and so these force me to be creative in ways that just more literal nature photography doesn’t.