Agapanthus

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is the first bloomer of the year. I have over 25 of these in my garden and expect quite a showing this spring.

Specific Feedback

I know I could have increased the DoF but to do so would pretty much eliminate the smoothness of the BG. This is a new camera and lens combo so I am still in the experimenting stages. Would you have gone for a greater DoF, or opt for the creamy smooth BG?

Technical Details

Nikon Z7 II, 100-400 “S” @400mm, f/5.6, 1/2500, ISO 500

It was quite breezy and because I have Essential Tremors, I have to shoot at elevated shutter speeds when I am hand-holding. I have discovered the Z7 II handles higher ISO’s with no issues as to clarity or sharpness.

Gorgeous!! I think the DOF on the flower is fine – it could look too busy with a greater DOF or a focus stack. I wouldn’t want to mess with that BG too much, either!

1 Like

Oh these look cool even when not bloomed yet. I hope you get in there to create some views with them open, too. Agree with Diane that this is enough DOF and after I looked at it some, I think you’ve put the primary focus where it needs to be. The sidelight brings up some nice modeling, too. Sorry about the Essential Tremors, but you have the gear to cope with that for sure.

1 Like

You caught a gorgeous colour contrast here, Chris. I too have no problem with the DOF here. Maybe later you will experiment with the Focus Shift (bracketing) of your new camera, to create a stack, if you want greater DOF, which might be fun when the flowers open.

1 Like

Thanks Mike, Kristen and Diane. The more I learn about the camera, I shall endeavor to do just that. I had it figured out with my D850 so it shouldn’t be too difficult to master the Z7 II.