Aging with Dignity

I found areas of black slate in areas of the Kenai Peninsula. I decided to render them blue in most cases. This was shot near the small town of Hope. Slate seems to photograph best after a rain when it’s shiny. I hope to go back and shoot under those conditions. Let me know what you think.

GFX50R, 45-100mm

_DSF2049_psd2_1300px

5 Likes

Great lines and definition, Igor. I like a lot, it feels quite somber and contemplative to me. Great capture and nicely done.

I really like the use of blue in this one Igor. So much more welcoming than the typical flat black and grays you get with these rocks. I have to say, this has to be seen large, click twice, to really get the feel of this image. There is a lot going on with all of the intersecting lines but you have somehow managed to compose this beautifully. The added color of the orange lichen spots and the warm rock tones in the LLC are a nice addition. I actually like the less contrasty conditions you found in this scene as apposed to the wet conditions you are hoping to find in the future. The only thing I would think of doing is adding a tiny bit of shadow lift the the wedge in the ULC. But I’m not even sure of that. This is really well done.

Igor, to me it has the shape of a ancient petrified bird wing. Maybe it is. It’s always nice to see images that makes one think of what it can be. A well made image.

Igor, there is a lot of tension and appealing dynamics to your image for me. I especially appreciate the kind of flow that I experience in your composition. Despite the strong downward movement that is suggested by the shapes and structure, the placement of the brighter areas in the upper part keep my attention within the frame. Great work in my opinion, that derserves to be seen as a large print.

Peter

As @Peter_Richter says, there’s a lot of tension here. That really makes for an interesting scene. The colors are awesome too.

Igor, blue works really well for me. Really like the shadows kept dark, adds to the dynamic nature IMO.

Quite a dynamic image and I like it a lot! The light on this and the wonderful blue tones really are quite beautiful, and the detail is fantastic! It does look like it would make an impressive print.

This is very beautiful Igor,

I love the blues color that adds a lot of moodiness and especial love the “chiaroscuro” effect you mange here.
This one would look very nice print big.

@linda_mellor, @David_Bostock, @Ben_van_der_Sande, @David_Haynes, @Mario_Cornacchione, @joaoquintela, @Nick_Bristol, @Peter_Richter

Thank you for your comments. I’m pretty happy with the way this image stands now. I haven’t printed it yet but I think it will come out good.

Regarding the title and what this image tells me. I saw this as an aging portrait with the neck wrinkles flowing downwardly but the head still raised high, erect and defiant.

1 Like