All fluffed up

Yesterday I was shooting a Great Bittern hunting out in the open, which isn’t an everyday sight, as this species tends to be rather secretive. Already thrilled with the images of the bird clearly visible walking through this low vegetation, my spirits were even more lifted when it suddenly shook its feathers for a brief moment. Stupidly enough I lay between itching nettles wearing only a t-shirt and shorts… but decided to wait out this moment before moving to safer grounds :wink: … Thanks for any feedback, Cheers, Hans

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D500 with 500mm f4 | 1/1600s | f4.5 | ISO450 | handheld

Another wonderful image from you in all respects, especially what I call the “Overduin Focus”. The pose is special. Lying in nettles? Anything to get the image, and in this case necessary; not “stupidly”. Great image. No changes necessary.

Hans, what a shot! I know you were thrilled with the shaking of the feathers for a brief moment. So glad you were able to tolerate the nettles long enough to get this shot.

Hi Hans
That is a great shot of the Great Bittern hunting.
Peter

Very Cool look! At first glance I don’t think I recognized it as a bittern with those fluffed up feathers. Nice catch!

I thought it was a hawk tin the thumbnail, Hans. What a great experience and you caught it very well. Your usual low angle really worked well with this action. We call them “stinging” nettles over here, but they’re not pleasant under either name.

Very cool image with fascinating pose and comp.

Wow would never have guessed a Bittern, what an extraordinary image of this solitary, stands alone in plain sight species.