Along the towpath

Description:

The C&O Canal Towpath is one of my favorite spots near DC. Beautiful in fall it is interesting any time of year. This photo in mid-summer.

Taken with a 100mm ‘macro’ lens. I think I quite like the focal length for landscapes as well

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Eddie, I’m surprised no one has commented on this. I really like the scene and the soft light. Yes, 100mm is great for landscapes in my view. I like how the overhanging trees are mirrored in the water.

I do wish for a bit more of the path on the left to lead me into the scene. I like how it curves around to follow the water. I also think the out of focus grasses in the lower left are a bit distracting, but don’t know how you’d adjust that.

Will look forward to seeing this in the fall too.

Telephoto focal lengths can create interesting perspectives for landscape images. And macro lenses are inherently very sharp too. A 70-200mm lens is one of my go-to lenses for landscape photography.

I really like your composition here, it is very dynamic looking. The sweeping curve of the path pulls me into that beautiful mirror reflection. I just love the bent over tree.The processing looks good as well.

I like everything about this except for the bottom two corners. Both corners have out of focus elements that I think are minor distractions, grass on the left, a log on the right. That is one the drawbacks of telephoto focal lengths, the depth of field is much shallower than it is if a wide-angle lens had been used on this. Thus its hard to get front to back sharpness. I think you might want to consider a crop from the bottom, to eliminate the log, and to minimize the amount of OOF grass.

Eddie, this shot nicely captures the summer greens of the towpath. I could see cropping out that oof log in the lower right corner. Everything else does a good job of putting me right there, enjoying the walk. Nice that you managed to avoid any people, since it’s such a busy place.

Yes trying to get a photo there without people in it can be a challenge