Alternative to Canon for 5D IV repair? Suggestions?

I need the tripod thread on my 5D IV replaced and I just was told by Canon that it would cost $425 plus return shipping. They have to replace the whole bottom plate. Since this doesn’t involve the intricate internal parts I would feel fine about having a non Canon shop do this work if it is significantly cheaper. Can anybody recommend someone? (I am assuming I will have to ship it somewhere…I live in California if it matters). Thanks!

I think you live in So Cal? If so, you might try calling Samys and see who they use for their repairs. They may have shops other than Canon. It would be something to try, anyway. Good luck with it.

Thanks Harley. I live in San Francisco, we have a Samys here. I checked, and they don’t do repairs any more.

Hi Tony. You might try Advance Camera in Portland, OR. I’ve had them do lens repair and they’ve been good and their prices have seemed quite reasonable. And yes, it is Advance, not Advanced. Phone is 503 292 6996

Thanks Dennis. I’ll keep that suggestion for the next time. Someone suggested a place in San Diego who would do it for $175 plus shipping, and I have already mailed it to them.

Sounds like a good deal.