Amaryllis

A sturdy and beautiful flower. There are numerous varieties. This and a paler version are seen around here. An 8 image focus stack.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any/all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any/all

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Camera Info: Nikon D750, tripod, remote release
Lens: VR 180mm f/2.8G
Focus Mode: Manual
AF-Area Mode: Single
VR: OFF
Aperture: f/4
Shutter Speed: 1/100s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: +0.7EV
Metering: Matrix
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 100
Almost full frame
PP in LR/PS CC 2019, Helicon Focus, Topaz Studio, TK sharpen for web @ 50%
BG and subject were treated separately in layers. I used move and replace in the BG to take out distractions.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Superb stacking job on the Amaryllis and I like the composition, Phil. While it’s a bit extreme, I think I’d do a wholesale replacement of the background with something mellower in this one. It just seems to clash too much with the flowers.

Extreme doesn’t bother me, but that much labor is an insult to my well developed lazy bone!:hot_face:

Hi Phil. I don’t know what you use for selecting, but I’d been trying to use a Wacom Tablet and just couldn’t get comfortable with it. I decided to try a pen screen instead and after looking around I ended up with an XP-pen Artist 15.6. I find it much faster to make selections and it has a lot better feel between the pen and screen than the Wacom did. I couldn’t afford the Wacom version, but this was just about $400 and I built my own stand for it that I can slide back and forth over my keyboard. I haven’t gotten to the point of using it for all my editing, but used with Topaz Remask it sure makes selections easy.

Phil: Ours are coming up like crazy but I struggle with getting good comps on these large flowers. Plus most of ours are close to the house and its tough to get a BG. I kind of like your BG that you were able to attain with a stack. I doubt I could get the same image with a single capture. I also like that you have flowers in various stages. :+1::+1:>=))>

Indeed most beautiful flowers, Phil. Excellent detail from the stack and nice complementary hues.