American Goldfinch

Still poking around in 2010 for some unknown reason. Sometimes it’s fun to go back.

This was taken of the back area of our backyard water feature.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. Look for anomalies in this one. I created 4 layers to adjust various parts of the image and added a bit of canvas on the right, plus a fair amount of cloning on the background to get this image where I wanted it. There are bound to be some signs of my playing.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything. The bird is a touch more centered than I like, but I didn’t want to take any more off the left and didn’t want to add any more on the right, so I settled for this.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7D, 500 mm f/4 ISL + 1.4 TC, tripod with gimbal head I’m sure, f/8, 1/1250, iso 400, aperture priority, -1/3 EV compensation. Processed in LR & PS CC-see above for details. Taken May 13, 2010 at 6:40 pm.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Nice sharp look at the finch and pleasing color palette. I do have a question: where in your metadata do you find the EV compensation?

Hi @Allen_Brooks : Here’s what my metadata panel looks like. I select the EXIF & IPTC option, which I’ve circled and Exposure Compensation is called Exposure Bias by Lightroom.

Very good control of the color and detail in this image. The yellow plumage is excellent. With respect to the composition, I think you could probably turn this into a vertical crop and eliminate the two out of focus stubs of the perch. I find the forward stub to be a little bit of an eye magnet. You could certainly do some very careful cloning and get rid of it.

@Dennis_Plank

Thanks a lot, Dennis. Guess you learn something new everyday. And there’s so much more for me to learn!

Really nice detail in Goldfinch. And as mentioned exposure looks really good. I could also see this a try at a vertical. I am not sure how our rh stub would look.

Bird is beautiful. Great detail and colors. I like the perch, but I do agree that a vertical would work well. That’d also eliminate some of the man-made concrete structure in the BG. I see what appears two areas in the BG bush where it looks like you did some cloning work. One is above the bird at the top of the frame, and the other is at the top left portion of the frame.