An early start

Fog in the distance
First morning light at your feet
A day will begin

What technical feedback would you like if any?feedback always welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?feedback always welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

F16, 1/40, iso64, 24-70 at 55mm.
(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I’m not sure if I should be critiquing the image or the haiku :smile: :smile:

I have commented that I enjoyed the haiku’s that @Ben_van_der_Sande wrote to accompany some of his images. I think they make for an interesting combination. Apparently, I’m not the only one who feels this way about haiku’s and photography.I recently saw this blog post from Colleen Miniuk, and thought it would be interesting to share it here at NPN

Ben, getting back to your image (and haiku), i think the poem fits the image well. In terms of the image, I like the composition, I think the arrangement of the three trees is well handled. And I like the concept of looking through the silhouettes of the trees to the distant fog.

However, I think the foreground is not helping the image. The bottom foreground is too dark for my taste, and there are a number of out of focus stalks of grass that are somewhat distracting. This foreground creates something of a barrier to entry into the image, and makes it harder to get to the more interesting stuff beyond. I wish you had gotten closer to the trees (and maybe higher up), and had more of an unimpeded view to the trees.

@Ed_McGuirk, Ed, thank’s for your time again. I see what you mean in your comment. I couldn’t get closer in the scene. I made the foreground even darker and the light grasses lighter. Just in my view to get more attention to these grasses. And from there lead the eye in the distance . I see the darker foreground as a sort half vignette.

This is lovely, Ben. The quality of light is what attracts me. Very peaceful.

1 Like

This is quite lovely. You definitely have a love for forest scenes and leaves always play an important role in your compositions. For me this image is about the delicate, almost lacy, quality of of the outline of each leaf against the light background. There is only one area where the leaves are a bit dense but it’s small enough to not diminish the effect. I can see Ed’s point about the fg but I wouldn’t crop to solve it. If you make it too light it could hurt the image. Overall the fg is consistent with the leaves.

1 Like