And it was all yellow

Been putting this image together today and I’d love some feedback, the two main things I was trying to work with here was getting a solid composition and bringing the saturation down to a point where it looks realistic (although it was super saturated)

What technical feedback would you like if any?

How does the composition look, how do the colours look & is there anything you’d suggest I can do to add mood to this image

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Two shots, one for the sky, one for the foreground mixed in photoshop with adjustments primarily in Camera Raw + dodge and burning with to actions

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Dale,

Looks like another great location. I quite like this image too. I think the composition is pretty good with the flow starting in the lower right, cascading off into the sea and lading towards the setting sun.

I don’t have a issue with the colours per se but I do get an overhwhelming warmth. Especially in the shadows. I have suggested this a few times recently but I would try to split tone the shadows and the highlights. CAn do this quite easliy in LR and can really have quite a dramitic effect on the colours/tones in a shot.

I would also try to accentuate contrast in the foreground. Could try settng a white point and then masking out sky. or use a curves adjustments for the midtnes in TK.

Cheers,
Eugene

1 Like

I really like all those circles, curves, and arcs. It’s a good composition. The image strikes me as being pretty dark but that may be what you’re after. There’s still plenty of detail.

1 Like

Great flow to this image with good framing of multiple areas of interest! I agree with the others that the darkness of the predominance of the image while dramatic, causes me to strain a bit to see what’s in the lower left corner…where there are great shapes and texture. As for the color, it appears essentially monochromatic, so if that’s your goal, you did accomplish that nicely.

I also enjoyed the curving flow of the water through the fine composition. You worked to get to the right spot to capture a complex scene. Following others’ suggestions, I used luminosity masks and history brush to dodge some of the bright and dark areas attempting to accentuate the curve and bring out some of the rock texture in LLC. Warmed the color in the brighter portions of the sky.

2 Likes