Another Woodduck

Taken in shade. I like the light on the water.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 2500, 100-400 pluse 1.4 at 820 mm, APC mode, 70% full frame APC mode or 20MP. A7R4 (upload://50PSQhU5Jx0f1kfXAVmBatfafbc.jpeg)

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

You’ve found a most productive pond, David. When things settle down and open up, I’d like to see it.
Detail and exposure are great. I like the color of the water, but the couple of uptilted lily pads are a rather sickly green, probably true to life.

We have been to this pond in the Northwest Olympia area together several times in the past few years… And yes the lily pads don’t always have the best color and they seem to pop up in the worst places. But this is an environmental shot.

A real nice pose from the Wood Duck and lots of detail. If mine I might try to drop the exposure on all of the bg and keep the duck about where it is now. Just to get a bit more separation and contrast.

I like the comp. with the duck lower in the frame like this. The colors on the duck look good. Maybe it’s because I grew up in the Mississippi delta, but I’ve always had a soft spot for lily pads. Critique-wise, it looks like maybe the file was pushed too much in post? BG and duck are noisy, and the duck appears over-sharpened.

I like the water as well and the overall composition. Good colors on the duck, but the eye and back don’t seem quite right, not sure if it’s from NR or sharpening.

Hi David
I think that is one sweet camera and a great looking duck.
Peter

Great capture, David! I like the warm light and the fine details. Wood ducks are pretty rare here in Valdez and hard to get close to but I’m hoping for opportunities this coming summer.