Ant

I had seen these ants on the wisteria bush before, but the other day I was able to photograph one. They remind me of the Fireant, which we have lots of here in NC, but it seems to be larger than the ones I see on the ground. I didn’t give him an opportunity to bite me to see if it burned like fire as the Fireants do!

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything you can think that would help.

Technical Details

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 100mm L macro lens, HH, with KX-800 twin flash and homemade diffuser. Manual settings at f9. 1/200, ISO 160. Edited in LR, just highlight/shadows and slight crop to bring more attention to the ant.

1 Like

Nicely seen, Shirley! Great how the stem works as a leading line right into the flower. The detail on the ant couldn’t be better. We also have Fireants and avoid them like the plaque! Wonderful capture.

1 Like

Awesome capture, Shirley. I thought Fireant too. It took a minute for me to see the subject because I am red/green color blind, but once I did, I thought it was a terrific, upside down comp. Well done.

1 Like

Hi Shirley,

This is a formicine ant and this family does not have a stinger. Lighting and comp are very nice and the wisteria provides some color that contrasts with the yellow brown of the ant. Well done…Jim

1 Like

I like the detail in the ant and the contrasting red and greens. The flower provides a nice lower frame.

1 Like

Shirley, the clarity and details in the ant really stand out. The surrounding add well to the sense of a small, well hidden critter, with the nicely arched stem and the slightly soft flower.

1 Like

Shirley: I generally avoid ants and wasps as subjects but this works very well. Nicely seen and captured. >=))>

1 Like