"Apex" Death Valley, CA 2018

Pertinent technical details or techniques to help others learn:

I saw this scene shortly after sunset and I continued to wait until twilight so the light would even out more and the sand would appear with softer, more pastel colors instead of the typical brown or tan. This was done in order to draw more emphasis on the shape of the dune instead of light or colors. You can see I cut off some of the curve on the left side, which is something I wouldn’t normally do, but this was to avoid the bank near the top of the frame that begins to go perfectly horizontal and parallel with the top edge just outside of the frame you see here. It also felt more balanced and cozy this way.

If this is a composite please be honest with your techniques and share some details so others can learn:

SINGLE FRAME BABY

Please do not critique this image. Galleries are for sharing and discussion only.
7 Likes

Mate I love this image!

1 Like

Fantastic! I love the S curve and the gold highlights and bluish shadows

1 Like

Excellent simplicity and great light. I often say “less is more” for a good image, and this certainly does that. Could be even better with more room LHS. (OK, that’s a critique, so sue me!!)

1 Like

Marvelous color complements a great composition.

1 Like

Love it…especially that “gold/silver” look…why don’t I ever see this when I am out on those dunes? :grinning:

1 Like

Brilliantly done. The way you handled the light in post is impactful but never overpowering in any area. It leads the eye beautifully!

1 Like

haha, no worries Bill. But I knew someone would point this out and thats why I explained my decision to frame it this way with less room on the left hand side in my description if you’ll read it.

Hey Renee! This was well after sunset, if I remember correctly I had to shoot this at 30 seconds in order to expose it and it was still kind of dark and had to raise the exposure quite a bit in post. They take on a silvery, softer hue in the evening.

Oops! Eric, I usually read opening comments unless they’re long-winded, but I must admit I didn’t read yours - OUCH !!

1 Like

Beautiful photograph, I really love the cool colors. I really hope I can train myself to see more photographs like this.

1 Like

It’s stuff like that this that makes me love sand dunes. I love the curvy lines and the pastel feel and gentle light. Thank you for including some of your thoughts on the composition, I think it ended up being a good choice to cut off some of the left curve but I don’t think that would have occurred to me.

1 Like

It’s ok man, just dont let me catch you doing it again… or else… :wink:

I really like this one with those absolutely sublime curves. Probably one of my favorites in the recent gallery. Beautiful stuff.

1 Like

Very nice, I love it as is.

1 Like

Love the texture here, Eric. The close composition focussing on the curve gives this a very nice abstract quality. Nice work.

Excellent nice shape.