Apple Explosion!

Original scene…

There’s a few rows of apple trees in the middle of a hazelnut orchard. All the apples are out and ready to be picked. I think the old barn peeking out behind looks interesting. I was trying the zoom and twist technique…

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything, I’m also posting the actual scene too.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400, 70-300mm @130mm, 1/6, f/13, ISO 100, lowered exposure

apani.hill

It changes the scene quite dramatically, Vanessa. I really like the swirl. The only thing that I can suggest is to clone out the rooftop in the image.

Good for you to see this opportunity. I have played with exploding plants a bit, and it is fun.
It occurred to me that the “apple explosion” feeling might be conveyed more strongly if the image excluded all that was not exploding apples. I cropped, vignetted, saturated reds, and moved yellows to green, The fun part of an abstract is you can do all that stuff; it’s all up to the artist in you.

An interesting scene on which to try an ICM. The radial explosion pattern is very dynamic. I really like what @Dick_Knudson has done with his rework. The original was too bright, and darkening the image has added some nice contrast and color saturation. I also think it is very important that Dick has cropped this to exclude the sky. White skies are usually not good in ICMs, they tend to create distracting hot spots. I think has solved that problem nicely here.

Thank you @Adhika_Lie @Dick_Knudson and @Ed_McGuirk for taking a look and your input and feedback! As far as the roof goes, @Adhika_Lie I purposely wanted it there as I kind of think it looks neat as an old barn from a long time ago. And also I do like what you did with the crop and adjustments @Dick_Knudson but I do have other frames that look pretty much like that. I should say they’re closer to the trees. But in this one I really wanted to show the old road/lane going into the orchard. I probably should have made a different title for it, since I wasn’t just meaning to focus on the apples but the lane as well! I also appreciate your reminder @Ed_McGuirk about not having too much sky included, in an ICM.

As I read your comment above, I wonder if you were trying to do too much with this image: The roof and road are important to you, but with the zooming ICM it seems improbable that they would be recognizable as what they are, or as interesting shapes or lines. The road might have been more recognizable if the camera were pointed along its axis for a zoom or the ICM were along its direction.
I wondered if you might be able to show those elements that are important to you, and also show the dynamics of the growing apples … One of my favorite photography teachers/authors, Bruce Barnbaum, was inspired by Jerry Uelsmann to combine parts of separate images (using negatives!!!). Do you have an image of this scene without ICM. If so, you might be able to superimpose the apple explosion from this image over the non-ICM image in a way that appeals to you. In the attached, I also used some Motion Blur. My greens are mixed up, I see, but you get the idea.
Have Fun!