Arctic Tern

This was taken in the Westfjords region of Iceland on a very windy and cloudy day. These Arctic turns were practicing nesting. So this is pseudo-nesting. The terns just act as if they are going to nest but don’t really lay eggs till later. They were still bothered by our presence.

Both images are full frame and were taken out of the car window.

ISO 2500, 400+1.4 X, F5 .6, 2500th for the in-flight shot and 1600th for the nesting shot
this was pretty difficult as they were so close and moving all over the place with respect to the in-flight shot.

Description:

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

2 Likes

Hi David, I like the high key look and sharpness looks good in head, body and tail. Pleasing slight blur in wings. Interesting perspective seeing the underside. Ground shot looks good too. Well done.

Very nice under difficult conditions. Is the underside normally that dark? It looks a little dirty.

Beautiful image, David! I really like the flying image, so graceful and elegant looking!

Excellent, David. I really like the flight image and the one on the ground gives a beautiful view of the bird.