Armed Robbery in Progress

The tide flats at the mouth of the Lowe River, Valdez, Alaska are very flat and very muddy. This time of year the Pink Salmon are spawning and get stranded in the mud when the tide goes out. The eagles are everywhere at low tide, grabbing the stranded salmon and the competition is fierce. Every now and then the action is close enough to the highway that it’s possible to get some decent action photos. I, personally, wouldn’t be interested in eating a mud covered salmon but the eagles clearly have a diffferent level of tolerance for dirt in their food :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sony a6500, FE200600G @ 565 mm, ISO-500, f/6.3, 1/2500, hand held.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@garyminish

1 Like

What an amazing shot, Gary. I like that the the one is coming in where you get the side view, and the mature eagle is face on with it’s catch. The wing position on both spells action. Yeah, I love salmon, but not muddy raw salmon! Great action shot. :+1: :+1:

Such a cool, powerful frame. The intensity from both eagles is really nice.

Hi Gary
Really powerful nature photograph. I agree with both Shirley and Keith, really nice work.
Peter