Autumn Harvest

Description: This was from 2 autumn’s ago on a hike in the woods at a Nature Preserve.

Specific Feedback Requested: Anything

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D3400, ISO 3200, 300mm, 1/320, f/6.3, did a vignette and used a vintage filter

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) no

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

#ig apani.hill

1 Like

So sweet, Vanessa. The soft lighting is wonderful. Truly a nice capture.

1 Like

Yes, very nice! The vignette is an excellent complement to the focus gradient.

1 Like

Thanks so much for looking and your feedback @linda_mellor and @Diane_Miller I’m glad it works! I thought he was so cute!

Such a great environmental, Vanessa. I had to look for a bit to see the chipmunk. That’s nice.

1 Like

Thanks @David_Bostock , glad you like it! And that you found the main subject! :smile:

I really like this, Vanessa! The chipmunk is small in the frame but it puts it in the context of it’s natural environment. The vignetting works quite well as it puts the focus on the chipmunk. The only suggestion I have is to sharpen it a little more after resizing for the post. The small images on this site seem to be automatically sharpened when they are created but the large image is a bit soft. Resizing to a much smaller size than the original loses a lot of pixels and information that kind of destroys the edges and micro contrasts. Rather than sharpening the full size image, wait until you downsize it and then sharpen just before posting.

1 Like

Thanks for the pointer @Gary_Minish . I never knew you could work on it again after making smaller! I’ve noticed some of my photos do that. And sometimes hate that I have to size them down. I will have to say that for this image I do think even the large image is kind of soft and it’s not cropped at all, it’s the whole 6000x4000 but I think because it was so dark and I had to use a high, for my camera, ISO, and low shutter with handholding and squatting the chipmunk isn’t probably as sharp as he could be. Thanks for looking and your feedback!