Avocet Feeding + Re-post

This Avocet was very busily feeding in a small arm of a lake. I took a number of shots trying to capture the water falling off its beak. I like this one for that reason as well as the necklace the water has formed around the bird’s neck. Early light and a slight breeze created interesting patterns in the water. Cropped to 16x9.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: 1/1000, f/7.1 and ISO 400 handheld

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Awesome, Richard. Great action and the water is incredible. It even looks like it might have a morsel in the beak (tiny red spot toward the tip). My one very minor nit, is that the two brown patterns in the waves in the lower left corner seem to be drawing my eye. It doesn’t seem like they would , but they are.

Richard, This image is extraordinary. I ditto @Dennis_Plank. Kudos for capturing the water with outstanding patterns and light, and the bird and composition are superb. I too love the water hanging down from the bird’s beak and the necklace. It’s minor, but the brown in LLC can easily be fixed with content-aware. Magnificent image.

Dennis and Larry: thanks for your comments and suggestion re the brown patterns in the LLC. Here’s a re-post minus the brown. Richard

ard

Richard, the water flowing off it’s beak and the reflections add up to a great view.

Richard, this is a wonderful capture of this guy feeding. Love all the reflections in the water, and the water coming from his beak. Nice.

A really neat shot with the water running off the neck and falling from the beak. Colors in water really add to and compliment the Avocet. I like the idea of the 16/9 crop and wonder if you had a look at having bird a bit lower in the frame adding more colorful bg water and removing some of the oof foreground water. Good for you to get it nice and sharp as well.

This is very pretty. I really like that water streaming down from the bird’s beak. Avocets are so elegant. I am a low-angle addict, but I don’t mind the higher vantage point here. The colored water and patterns are very nice. I like the re-post, but you do have some repeating patterns in that area now.

Much better with the new crop. Love the water!