Back / Side Lit Common Gull Landing

Trying to improve on photographing backlit

What technical feedback would you like if any?

More detail in the water needed ?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
1/4000 sec. F 6.2, ISO 2200
exposed for “white” bird, half hour before sunset

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Karl,
this is a very nice image. Exposure is good and the pose implies some action. I would’nt change a bit, especially don’t add anything to the water, as it would draw away attention from your main subject. The b/w conversion is also very good with the focus on the bird. Good job!
Katharina

Welcome to NPN Katharina @Katharina_Hilgers. I am sure you will find this a very useful place. Not just for image evaluations but also for the webinars which can be really good
Thanks for your generous observations too. That was the idea, to keep the focus on the bird

The simplicity of this image is perfect for black-and-white. I like what you’ve done.

1 Like

A lovely dynamic shot with only one thing to look at. I really like the incoming pose of gull. I agree that water is just fine as is.

1 Like

I’ve heard that the B&W community really likes a lot of contrast, but for my taste, Karl, this is a bit too much-just a matter of taste. It’s a very nice composition and the detail in the bird is good except for the one blown out area.

Thanks for your comments Dennis @Dennis_Plank. Thats why I asked - more detail in the water - which meant opening it up. My wildlife friends will shoot this one, I know. But I wanted to try something different - trying to keep the focus on the bird itself. Hot spot below R wing origin? corrected that - thanks