Bajada Lupine

Any comments are welcome

Canon 5D MK4, 105mm macro with ring flash
f/29, ISO100

Don: Nice use of the flash which is very complimentary and not at all overpowering. I like how it has separated the subject from the BG. Well composed and captured. >=))>

The clear, bright look at the front leaves and the blooms against the dark, but recognizable background works well, Don. Is that a ring flash effect having the light fall off so quickly in the distance?

I especially like the ring flash work and the subsequent fall off, something I have never tried. My technique, when it works, is to isolate the subject from one or more layers of background and deal with each separately. It’s not really applicable on photos like this where it is impossibly finicky to select the hairy edges. Be that as it may, my OCD eye is strongly drawn to the isolated double leaf mid-right. I did a cut, paste and ccw twist of a similar edge to make it go away (along with a little blurring and history brushing). To me, it looks better balanced.

Very unusual effect - almost graphic in quality, Don. Very pleasing image, everything nice and sharp.

Yes, the light falls off the square of the distance, e.g three times the distance, nine times less light…

Phil,

Thanks for your comment. Yes, those leaflets were unnecessary. While I was studying my image, I also slightly darkened and de-saturated the leaf in the lower left.

Don