Balance

I shot this while hiking in the Tonquin Valley in Jasper National Park. The weather was very variable which provided many shot windows for shooting the peaks.

Specific Feedback Requested

I think I might be too close to this one and have lost perspective. Is the image too left heavy for you?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

nathankleinphotos
3 Likes

Absolutely wonderful scenery thoughtfully presented. I think the framing is great and that the left side is not too heavy, as to me it sets a quiet frame to the main show(s). The image is challenging, as it is warm and well defined below and cool and less defined above. Not sure I have a strong contribution here, but I felt the need to subdue the highlights and add contrast to the mountains to bring top and bottom to a closer balance. Also tried to burn and dodge some of the brush to add variety, but not at all sure that accomplished anything.

1 Like

A very nice imge Nathan. The light on the right mountain add weight to that part perfectly balancing the left mountain. So the answer is simply no.

Nathan, this is not too left heavy for me. The bright peak pulls my eye to the center, and it has more visual weight than the dark mountain on the left. The spruce and grasses are essentially evenly distributed across the image, which helps avoid an unbalanced comp. The triangular wedge of spruce on the right also helps to counterbalance the left mountain.

Overall this image works very nicely for me. It makes me hope that someday I’ll be able to return to the Canadian Rockies too, it’s one my favorite locations to shoot.

Lovely shot Nathan!

I can see why you think this is left heavy as the mountain in shadow is quite dominant. However you have another mountain in shadow in the back on the right. To me this balances the scene. If that distant mountain had been obscured by cloud, for instance, the balance would have been off.

To me the perspective is great. I suppose some would argue that the bigger trees crossing the tree/mountain boundary could create some visual tension. In this scene I dont think it matters at all.

I love the transition through the temps from a warm foreground; becoming cooler as you get higher.

Nice job!!

Eugene

Hi Nathan, you made a great picture and I think it is well balanced. It has amazing depth and I love the color contrast. My only suggestion would be to make a version with a bit less sky.

Talk about a grand landscape - this is one. I’m not usually big on these kind of vistas but this one works beautifully not only because of the elegantly balanced composition but because of the colour. The golden autumnal colours against the cool blues of the mountains and sky are a perfect compliment. I love the trees in the foreground. I identify with them since their point of view and mine are virtually identical. Very nice, indeed.

Nathan,
This is not at all to left heavy for me as I think the peak lurking on the right side in the cloud cover nicely balances the dominant one on the left. I do like @Dick_Knudson’s subtle tweaks as it makes the peak on the right a little more readily apparent. This is the grand view for sure and very nicely done.

A great landscape image, one of the best. Very well balanced from foreground firs to atmospheric mists, color balanced as well , great light and processing. Wonderful rising mist into the sky.

@Dick_Knudson, @Ola_Jovall, @Ed_McGuirk, @Eugene_Theron, @Richard_Tétreault, @Kerry_Gordon, @Ed_Lowe @Stephen_Stanton

Thank you very much for your feedback and perspective on this image! much appreciated.

1 Like