Bald Eagle Snatching

A close up of the action - cropped and then enlarged x 2 in Topaz G

Specific Feedback Requested

Have I brought down the highlights too much, making the head less white than it should be ?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

1 Like

While a dramatic image with the talons extended, the overall image quality has suffered from the processing. You indicated a crop, then enlarged with Topaz. The amount of detail has suffered and the noise apparent in the image is also not helping. The whites on the top of the head are not showing any detail. The rest of the whites, while white, look really odd with the processing I’m assuming the culprit. I don’t know what the original looked like, but to crop this far on this image doesn’t appear to work well.

Great pose you captured and those talons are amazing. I agree image quality has been affected by the crop and processing.

1 Like

Thanks @Keith_Bauer and @Allen_Sparks
Keith especially, for his brutal dissection of this image - that’s the way I want my images critiqued.
I have uploaded the original image, more subtly processed
This was shot with a Nikon D4s at 3200 ( noisy ) wide open using a 300/f2.8 lens

Karl: I think the original is MUCH stronger than the crop, no matter the image quality. The whites are still pretty hot on the eagles head, but probably manageable from the RAW file. If anything, rather than cropping, I’d add just a touch of canvas on the right so the wing tips are quite as tight and the image appears to need a CCW rotation based on the water.

1 Like

I definitely prefer the second version of the processing, Karl. If you’re using LR a bit of work with the local adjustment brush on the top of the head might do the trick there. The dark plumage looks much more realistic in this image and I prefer the looser composition. The lighting is really special in this image with that far wing glowing, so I wouldn’t do anything to detract from it.

1 Like

I agree with the comments above. You have a unique and strong image. There is a pinkish cast in the whites that suggests a WB tweak might be explored. I find the reflection a bit distracting, along with the light areas near the left edge. I think those could be toned down a bit.

1 Like

Hi Karl
I can’t blame you for trying to get a dramatic close-up of this Eagle. I just think Topaz Gi just over promise what the end product will look like. The full frame is very nice.
Peter

1 Like

The non-cropped file should edit better than the presented image. Following the guidance of the provided critiques should get you a more reasonable image. The pose and lighting are awesome…Jim

1 Like