Banded Hairstreak

This little guy (about 1 inch in size) was in our flowers this morning while it was mostly cloudy. Appreciate your comments and critiques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 180 mm L macro lens, handheld, settings manual except ISO (auto), at f8, 1/800, ISO 2000. Edited in LR and Topaz AI Clear.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Nicely done Shirley. The greenish background works really well with the purple flower and helps to clarify the butterfly. The detail on the butterfly is outstanding. Can’t figure out why these little fellow always seem to be hanging up side down, at least every time is see them.

1 Like

Shirley, a fine take on this little hairstreak. They are often hard to spot as they tend to walk around a lot with flights being short and fast. You’ve got excellent sharpness throughout the wing and the body in fine surroundings. I am thinking that this is a Gray Hairstreak because of the light color and the tricolor (orange, black, white) interior spots. Additionally the Banded has a single, mid-summer brood while the Gray has three broods, including an early spring brood. I also believe that telling them apart visually is hard. I do think that you could add a touch more contrast to the wing with a light bit of burning-in through a darks mask.

1 Like

Hi Shirley,

Nice job with that sliver of DOF to get the hairstreak in the plane of focus. The reason the butterfly chose to go after the nectar while upside down is that it shortens the distance for its mouthparts and the fuzzy dorsal sepal provides a nice handle. Awesome shot…Jim

1 Like

Hi Shirley, well he doesn’t look so tiny in your image, lol. Yes, you had great lighting that morning and the background is perfect to show both subjects off nicely. Enjoying all the fine detail on him and it took a while to figure out his stance. So is that his mouth wide open below his wings and body? And I’m wondering what that body part is that’s curled up next to his antenna. Wings are showing some beautiful texture too…almost like corduroy. Well done and thanks for sharing.

Lovely image! Hard to get both heads and body in the same plane. Excellent work on that! great background and colors, especially the purple color of the flowers is complementary.

1 Like

Shirley: One of the best hairstreak images I’ve seen in quite a while. Most excellent. >=))>

1 Like