Barn Swallow

Yesterday I spent a moment with the Barn Swallows, perched on barbed wire.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I was not really prepared for the action, so my focus is on the chick - therefore the parent’s head is just not 100% sharp. Is this a major dealbreaker ? Thanks for any comments ! Cheers, Hans

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D500 with 500mm f4 | 1/1000s | f4 | ISO500 | overexposed 1/3EV | handheld
(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Great moment captured, Hans!

Personally, I don’t think the soft focus on the parents head is a real issue here. I think you handled this super fast action shot perfectly.

Nicely done!

Wow, what a great action here. What a pity about the soft head of the parent. On hindsight, f/5.6 would have been a great choice here.

You nailed this one, Hans. Superb timing and I love the “poses”. Interesting that they’re still feeding youngsters over there.

What a shot! The shutter speed is just perfect to show the movement of the wings. A smaller aperature and higher ISO should have been better ofcourse.

Wow, Hans, this is a really great shot. The softness of the parent’s head is not an issue, I don’t think. You got the moment, and in focus enough that it is a pleasing image to view. I too like the motion of the wings of the parent. Well done! :+1::+1:

Your skill and patience really paid off here. Excellent behavior and comp with very pleasant color, wing position, behavior, and BG.

What an amazing action shot! The gestures of both birds look perfect to me. Is the softness of the parent’s head an issue? I think it depends on your ultimate plans for the photo. At this size (online), I don’t think it’s an issue. If you were to print it at 16"x20", it very well might be. At an 8"x10" size, I’m not sure - I suggest printing it (if that’s your ultimate goal) and see how you feel about it.