Bathing Cardinal

I finally broke down and bought a portable blind. This has enabled me to get some close views of various birds bathing in the stream that runs between my two backyard ponds. In this case, it’s a female cardinal having a great time setting the water flying. (7D2, 100-400 @ 227, 1/1000 s, f/9, iso 6400, tripod)

Mark, this is an excellent stop action shot. Love the splash of water, as well as how you caught her in such a position. I thought at first glance, before opening up to the large view, that she was upside down, and then I realized there were no feet sticking up. So, it was the head turned all the way around pretty much, as birds seem to be able to do.

I too have thought about a blind, but right now I am working through my window, which does work as a blind. I don’t have a stream or nice pond made up (like Dennis and others might have), but I do have a bird bath so that they can get water to drink and bath in. I wish you the best of shots and enjoyment with the blind.

Excellent shot, in every way. :+1: :+1:

Great action, Mark, and excellent techs. Just enough motion blur to help show what’s happening. They do get pretty uninhibited about their bathing.

Congratulations on the blind-did you adapt a hunting blind or spring for a true photo blind?

What a fun photo Mark. This little cardinal is definitely taking his bath seriously. Amazing detail in the bird’s feathers and the water droplets. Looks like your blind was a good choice, enjoy.

Wow. Talk about having a bath! Excellent action and behavior shot. And a n excellent ad for a blind. Nice and sharp.

Love all the action and the ruffled feathers. I especially like that ring of water around her beak. Generally, in bird photography, you always want to see the bird’s eye. But I don’t mind that “rule” being broken here at all. Congratulations on the blind. I am also curious what kind you got. Looking forward to more.

@Dennis_Plank, @Lyle_Gruby The blind is a Tragopan V6, designed for photographers. There are camera ports on all four sides. It’s support poles are built in and can be operated quickly. Having had it for a week, I can’t speak to durability. It comes camo mesh screens for all for openings. The screen attachments are very light weight plastic spring clips, which may have a limited lifespan…to be determined. I’m sitting on a conventional folding chair with decent headroom.

Thanks, @Mark_Seaver . I picked up a Tragopan a year or so ago. Seems to be pretty good quality, though I haven’t used it a great deal yet. Certainly well thought out and about the only game in town for photography.

Superb action shot. Wonderful unique shot.

Excellent job on the action. Not much to criticize here. Good color and detail. Very minor nit would be to get the peak in focus but not a dealbreaker. A good clean bird…

Good job in catching the action, while preserving a fair amount of detail. I also like the color of the water, which contrasts well with the cardinal.