Beach Abstract

Image Description

This is the same little beach rivulet as in my last post (Beach on a Beach), but looking more at the water itself for patterns. I probably have gone over a bridge too far with the processing for many NPN-ers, but I’m going for maximum impact with an eventual print. The second image is minimally processed (just to bring up the exposure a bit).

I’ve been hanging around with painters more lately (and learning to paint), and it’s having an effect on my processing - I’m more inclined to go the interpretive route rather than eye-witness.

Minimally processed version.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Feel free to weigh in on the aesthetic appeal and mood. Maybe dialing back the yellow for on-line viewing would be called for, and still keep an uplifting, happy mood. I didn’t add any color, just upped the saturation.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 11.50.59 AM

For an image like this, who needs reality? It is so lovely and I especially like your choice of colors to use. My mom has an eye for color and putting things together - she’s a quilter and worked for many years at a decorating shop specializing in window treatments (note I cannot just say curtains! lol) and I’m always taken aback at how well some things go together that I might not have dared to try. This is an outstanding image in a portfolio of them. Wow. Consider me rocked back.

@Bonnie_Lampley one of my favorite questions about photos is “what color was it?” The one you say it is. I might dial the yellow back a smidgen but the purple is perfect—i fell in love with that same purple at Pfeiffer Beach on the north end of Big Sur. The patterns too are just wonderful. Thanks for seeing it all.

Hi Bonnie, I really like this & prefer the more colorful version! I get a sense that there are two sets of eyes in the photo -a pair in the upper right & another more toward the center of the frame. I feel the suggestion of motion from the lower left diagonally to the upper right. I don’t think the photo is over saturated at all & it’s going to make a great print!

Bonnie, this reminds me of looking at slices of tissue through a microscope (in school)…It’s pretty cool. The processed version is quite striking and this would indeed make an interesting print. Well done.

I love the interpretive version, it really draws on the imagination! It could almost be an aerial image taken far above the landscape looking down on ridges, valleys, and rows of fields, city blocks, whatever. A very cool abstract image. It will look great printed!

Bonnie,

Kudos to you for pushing the boundaries! You most certainly took this to an abstract place - and a beautiful one at that!

Thanks for posting the original as well - which shows how you’ve taken what is seen as a classic “mosaic” image we’ve typically seen posted of a mountain stream and pebbles glistening in the mid-day sun… and pushed it to something that’s no longer recognized as such. The colors are wild as are the patterns. In fact, I first thought this was just another sand pattern captured nearby your last one.

Personal preference of course, and an alternate view - I could see a square crop around that broken heart shape at the bottom. But I also quite love this as presented. A metal print indeed!

Lon

Fascinating capture and treatment! I’ll be the contrarian and say I prefer the original, just because it is so pretty on its own. The final is interesting as art but I appreciate the original for its connection with nature while still being an abstract. Processing could go several directions with this very interesting subject. Just for fun I played with going in the opposite direction with a quick run of Glamour Glow and Dynamic Skin Softener. Not better, just different.

Thank you @Kris_Smith @JohnSnell @Kris_Wyman @David_Bostock @Steve_Layman @Lon_Overacker and @Diane_Miller for your thoughts and appreciation.

I think I agree on the yellow. And yes, I’ve seen those same colors in sand down along the Central Coast. They’re even better down there than here, as I recall.

I may eventually go with a square crop to match the crop on a lot of my other abstracts if I ever manage to get them together in a project. I’ve never done a metal print. They’ve never done much for me, but I suppose I should try it at least once. :slight_smile:

Oh, I like what you did. The softening of it is quite appealing.