Bearded Iris, Formal Portrait

A blend of 3 images for DOF. Taken at the Bamboo Farm and Coastal Gardens, Savannah, Georgia. It was shot in windless and humid bright morning air.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any/all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

This is very much a static and centered image, in an almost square format. Is it too crowded? Is the bud bottom left a detraction?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Camera Info: Nikon D750, tripod, remote release
Lens: VR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G
Focal Length: 300mm
Focus Mode: AF-C
AF-Area Mode: Group Area AF
VR: OFF
Aperture: f/16
Shutter Speed: 1/250s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Metering: Matrix
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 1600
65% of full frame
PP in LR/PS CC 2019, Topaz Studio, TK sharpen for web @ 30%

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

The background was not replaced, but deliberately field blurred in a background layer and a -0.75 ND gradient filter applied in PS. I took this with the combined images at f/16 for maximum overlap.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Perfect capture of the flower, Phil - fine detail, nice hues and nothing wrong in my view with centring a flower such as this. On the bud I am ambivalent - I first looked and wondered why it was there, then I looked again and found it somehow adding to the interest of the image - an eccentric feature which sets new growth against the full bloom. Guess each time I look the response will be different !!!

Beautiful capture, Phil. The detail is amazing. Like Ian, I was having a bit of a problem accepting the bud so low, but it grows on you. Wonderful color and detail of this gorgeous iris.

Very formal looking, Phil, which is what you were going for. The details are outstanding and I like the background. I think I’d lose the bud, though I think the portrait might have had more interest with a vertical take including the entire bud.

Phil: What a beauty! I love the dew and the detail in the largest version. In this ratio I would make the bud go away. In a longer portrait presentation (2:3) I would include it all or clone it away completely. >=))>

Phil
I thought this was a focus blended when I saw it but expected multiple layers (more than 2 !). This is a delightful way to present this flower . Love the dew drops you captured!

Late to the party. A beautiful variety of iris. Love the yellow edges and the dew on the petals. I in the camp of either including the whole bud or eliminating it.