Beavertail Lighthouse - AstroLandscape

Description:

Beavertail Lighthouse in Jamestown, RI - An unusually clear night - almost thought that I was in pristine Maine

Specific Feedback Requested:

White rocks in LLC a distraction ?
These are 2 images - taken one after the other - Sky 10 secs, Rocks 20 seconds - both at F 2.8 , ISO 4000

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D6 at 20mm using 14-24mm lens

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
By definition, No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.

Karl, nice work here. I really like the balance of the Milky Way and the lighthouse in the frame. The white rocks are not a distraction to me, although you could probably burn them in some to darken them. All of the elements come together quite nicely in this.

Iā€™ve always wanted to try my hand at astro photography and have never had good luck. Mostly because I am too lazy to get myself up in the middle of the night. Maybe once
I retire.

Thank you David

This image was made at 9 pm ! In March or April the arch is much lower and nicer but also means 2 am !

1 Like

That was a dark night with clear air! Out west the pervasive coastal marine layer (and smoke inland) really lowers contrast for capturing the detail of the Milky Way. The lighthouse is wonderful! I donā€™t mind the rocks but it could be interesting to compare a slight toning down.

Lovely light on the brownish rocks ā€“ a little bit of moonlight?

Thanks Diane - I did tone down the white rock area - better
l believe the light on the rocks was ambient light as well as some moon reflected atmospheric glow - moon rise was 2 hours later

Hi,

I like the composition and the light colored rocks do not bother me. The sky is amazing. Well doneā€¦Jim

1 Like

Itā€™s wonderful the light and color the camera can pick up ā€œin the darkā€ that our eyes canā€™t see!

I really like this capture. Lots to see. Initially I thought the lighthouse lamp was too bright but that is what it is supposed to be. Thanks for sharing this beautiful image.

thanks!
I thought the same about the light. There are ways to tone it down without looking that obvious - blending 2-3 lower exposed images

A classic New England lighthouse, with a classic composition. And, as usual, Karl itā€™s very well processed. I like how you got shadow detail into the landscape, without losing the nighttime look by over-doing it. The night sky looks great as well. This looks like night, but I like how you processed the land.

If I wanted to get super nitpicky, I would suggest cloning away the lights on the horizon, and the very bright star (or planet) in the ULC. I think these subtle tweaks would help keep the viewer focused on the lighthouse and the Milky Way.

Thanks @Jim_Zablotny , @David_Bostock , @Ed_McGuirk , @Andrew_Sentipal and @Diane_Miller

That LLC did bother me a bit - so guess what ? I went back last night ( only a 45 minute drive ) - this time I found a better rock foreground - had to walk across a few rocks but got there safely enough
Single image - 20 seconds, F 2.8 at ISO 4000
I did try to work on those ship waldos - toned them down

1 Like

OK!!! What a view for a time lapse!

WHy did I not think of that TL ! - thanks!! Next year early August it will start in the LUC and go over the Lt hs before dipping below the horizon

Wow, this is a super nightscape. I do not think the lighter area in the LLC is a distraction. It adds interest to the foreground. It looks as if you may have cut down clarity on the foreground hill and rocks or maybe blurred it a bit. This helps to appreciate the impact of the dazzling sky. There must have been a party at the lighthouse itā€™s lit up to the nines. Wonderful image.

First one was good but that second one is great. I could stand a little bit less vignette for sure but other than that I love it. Maybe darken the whole thing just slightly but Iā€™m enjoying how you process the milky way. Too many people over-process it and this is nicely done.

1 Like

@Karl_Zuzarte Excellent capture! Love the processing of the night sky. Your stars are pin tack sharp.

I feel that the white rock compete with the other elements in the scene and like the foreground of your second image. My suggestion with the second foreground is to desaturate it a bit and darken it a bit. But thatā€™s my personal taste for astrophotography. I want it to feel like itā€™s dark!

1 Like