Before the sunrise Lake Erie Shoreline

Two images from before sunrise on the north shore of Lake Eire from late Nov. it was quite windy and cold but the long exposures smooths out the waves. The post are the remnants of an old pier when commercial fishing and coal shipments were started around 1900. Most of the great lakes shoreline accessible in southwestern Ontario Canada have been impacted by humans.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Are the images too saturated?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

cropping or post processing suggestions

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Both images taken with a 24-105mm lens at different zoom from similar position. ISO 400, 30 second exposure. I used 400 iso to avoid use of exposure greater than 30 seconds.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Great photo Bryan. My preference is a combination of both images. I like the colors in the second photo, but prefer the horizontal position of the first. Also was wondering if you got a photo horizontal with the rocks in the foreground. Nicely seen.

I think these are both fine examples of blue hour photography. I do not think either of them are too saturated. They both realistically reflect the type of color one sees at this time of day. The WB looks realistic to me, after all this is “blue hour”. I think the processing in each looks good, I especially like the shadow detail you achieved in the rocks in the 2nd image.

You did not ask about our preferences between the two. I like them both but the first image is my favorite. I t has a clean, elegant simplicity to it, and I appreciate seeing that in images.

1 Like

Both are excellent, Bryan. I prefer the first for its simplicity and impact, although I do prefer the color of the water in the second (looks on the magenta side in the first). Both are strong images.

Both images are beautifully done, Bryan. If I had to choose one as a favorite it would be the first one as I really like the minimalist approach and the contrasting warm color in the sky with the cooler tones in the water. The SS did a wonderful job of smoothing out the water action and I like the old pilings as an added element in the scene.No suggestions from me.

These are both very appealing, but the first speaks to me more, for its simplicity and the subtle ghosting of the long exposure being more of an obvious feature. I think @linda_mellor has an interesting idea, to bring the colors in the first closer to the second, perhaps compressing the gradient in the sky so it can go to some blue at the top. That may need more sky, though.

1 Like

There was small trees and shrubs that would have made a messy foreground for a horizontal shot with the rocks. I may play with the colors in the first image some more. The first image is what I though of when I first arrived and then worked the scene to try to get some different compositions.

1 Like

Here are a couple more versions of the first image. the first one wass heavily post processed in some experimentation.

1 Like