Bella Coola sunstar

Sunset in Bella Coola, BC. Any feedback, opinions or critiques are all welcome. Thanks for looking :beers:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

2 shots blended together for dynamic range

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

Holy smokes; that’s fantastic Blake. This is magnificent from top to bottom. You could kick the saturation of the sky even a little higher. (That’s coming from a guy who tends to over saturate, so take it for what it’s worth.)

1 Like

This looks great, Blake. The flowing water in the foreground is nicely lit while the sunstar, the distant lake, and the mountain make a great setting.

1 Like

I love the flowing water in the FG, Blake. Very nicely done in my opinion. I am conflicted about the lake though. The sunstar kinda competes with it. I think the image overall is stronger without the sunstar in the image but that could be just my own personal preference. You have processed this very nicely!

1 Like

Wow Blake, this image is simply amazing, I love the light playing on the water, and your shutter speed created some very dynamic effects in the water as well. I also love the soft hazy light on the background mountains, they create a nice contrast with the crisp foreground rocks. This is a finely crafted image on your part, outstanding work.

This is very subjective on my part, but I think the “flow” of the image would be strengthened by flipping the image horizontally, so the water flows from left to right. However I suspect this is a very recognizable location (though I haven’t seen it before), and you probably cant get away with a horizontal flip.

1 Like

Thanks @John_Williams! I’ll give that a try.
Ty @Mark_Seaver Mark :beers:
Ty @Adhika_Lie, very insightful feedback as always!
Ty @Ed_McGuirk, interesting, that never even occurred to me to flip the image, i’ll give it a try although I don’t know if I can get away with it lol.

Excellent, Blake! Great light and combination of elements make for an outstanding image. No suggestions from me.

1 Like

Blake,

Pretty gosh-darn special image. The vantage point and awesome grand view is one thing… but being on top of the water cascading off in to the abyss… adds something special.

Incredible imagery!

Lon

1 Like

It is a spectacular and splendid image, the water flowing in the foreground makes it special… and the light in the background makes it all. No suggestions from me and I like it as you posted it. Great processing too…

1 Like

ps: the flow from right-to-left or left-to-right is cultural of course, and it is an interesting question… I have many friends who write from right to left and probably this direction of the flow would be preferred… :smiley:

1 Like

Beautiful image. I like the play of sunlight on the water in the foreground. Great atmosphere in the lake and mountains in the background. Personally I think the level of saturation in the sky is in keeping with the mood I feel from the image.

1 Like

Extraordinary light and a wonderfully flowing composition, Blake, which powerfully suggests the elemental forces of nature. Neat sunburst too !

1 Like

Thanks Harley, Lon, Antonello, Rob and Ian, very much appreciated :beers: