Benefits of Getting Up Early!

I had ridden my bike in the dark to get up to Chip Ross Park before sunrise. I like a certain field right before the park because there’s a nice view of the western range and all kinds of birds. As I was coming back to my bike I saw what looked like a cat sitting on the shoulder of the road looking in the bushes for birds. My first thought was, why don’t people keep their cats inside! Then the ‘cat’ got up because she spotted a person walking down the road. She walked across the road, marked a utility box and then went into the woods. I’m guessing it’s a female because from what I read among Bobcats and Mountain Lions it’s usually the females who mark territory. Anyway I was so excited and felt honored to see such a beautiful wild creature so close!

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything. This is more of a show and tell shot. I have others where she’s looking at me but it’s in the road with the white stripes and all. I just thought this looked the most natural.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400, 300mm, ISO 3200, 1/500, f/6.3. Did some adjustments, tried to tame noise as best as possible, brought exposure up. Cropped

apani.hill
2 Likes

How wonderful, Vanessa!! I love the ruff on the face - such gorgeous creatures.

1 Like

Great encounter and prized catch!
I believe these kind of images shouldn’t be judged upon photographic quality.

1 Like

Thank you so much, @JRajput , my heart was racing I was so excited! It was breathtaking!

Thanks @Kris_Smith ! I’m hoping I might be able to see her again!

I do like the graininess of this photo and you captured the action quite well. I think that this image will work as a documentary photo rather than as a fine art image. You may want toi try some crops with your other images to see what you can get. Well done…Jim

1 Like

Thanks @Jim_Zablotny ! Yeah it was kind of just a show and tell, I mainly just wanted to share my awesome sighting! I will see if I can make anything out of the road shots as it could make for a clean background! Thanks for looking and your feedback!