Big Horn Lamb on the move

Caught this big horn lamb just before she went around the rock in the Tetons last month. I like the lighting on the lamb and the bit of snow on the rocks. the locals call those skies bluebird skies. I can see why.

Nikon D500, Nikon 200-500, ISO 400, F6.3, 1/2000

Comments and critiques appreciated.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Very well composed and excellent detail throughout the image, Andrew. I like this image a lot.

I like this a lot, too. It’s always hard to get a good shot of these guys given their habitat but you manage to get a very clean and beautiful habitat here. The blue sky is perfectly positioned and proportioned in the image, too.

Very nicely framed, the blue sky and the bit of snow really add to the image !

Excellent color, light, and detail. The position of the BIghorn Lamb in walking pose is quite pleasing. It breaks up the architecture of the rock with a nice textural contrast.

I love the soft light in this and the colours.

For me she blends in to the mountain a little too much (I guess that’s how she stays alive), and given you say she walked around the rock, I guess you would have ended up with an AHV when she had the blue background.

Given the rock she’s against is in shadow and she’s just getting hit by the sun, I’ve (again) done a quick and dirty hack on your photo and darkened the shadow to try and give a better figure ground relationship.

Andrew: I like how you’ve captured the lamb in mid stride and captured its environment. It’s also refreshing to see a photo of a lamb rather an adult. Nicely done. Richard