Black headed Grosbeak in bright sun And RP

Description:

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) not a composite

ISO 640, 400+1.4 X, F6 .3, 2000th

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I’m posting 2 crops here. The perch is little unwieldy and might be a little distracting so I did a portrait and essentially a full frame shot.

The crop does the trick and it’s nice to see a portrait instead of a whole bird sometimes. It doesn’t look like bright sun so whatever you did in the field or in processing worked to make it look less harsh, but still full of detail where it needs it. The darker background makes the bird really stand out well. Maybe give a little more room for the feet.

Obviously plenty of detail to crop this just about any way you want, David. I agree that the perch really limits you on this one, particularly the foreground section of it. The portrait crop works pretty well, though I think you might want to consider going even further with it.

Hi David
Great looking Grosbeak, the detail and lighting look spot on. I think Dennis has a good idea about moving in the portrait. Nice work.
Peter

I like the repost, David. I’d be tempted to get rid of the out of focus part of the perch and do some creative cloning to extend the in focus part down and out of the frame.