Black headed Grosbeak

A male Black Headed Grosbeak either molting or a juvenile landed on my perch this morning. This has been my nemesis bird this year. They are extremely skittish. I’ve have also seen the female and a non-molting adult male.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-1600, 100-400 at 400 mm, F7 .1, 1250th, A7r4, handheld, 50% of full frame, no added sharpening or clarity, some minor cloning but not of the bird.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Excellent capture of this grosbeak, David. Fine perch and background, and the view of its back with the head turned towards you is excellent.

Not sure if it’s too early for the fledglings to be out, but it may be different in different regions.

Excellent, David. I’m suspecting molting-the juvies are supposed to look more like females regardless of sex. It seems early for a molt, but sometimes birds get off schedule. Great perch and nice depth of field. I’ve been seeing males in our feeders, but haven’t gotten a shot yet.

Beautiful image David. The background is gorgeous, and the composition with the “Y”-shaped perch is perfect.

What a backyard bird! Back in Memphis/east Arkansas, we’d be lucky if an evening grosbeak stopped in at all! Frame looks very good to me. Bird is nice and sharp, with good details. I really like the perch, comp., and BG. My only nit is that the photo appears to have a greenish/yellow-ish tint. What do you think about the below?

Hi David,

I like the bright background version. Sharpness and detail are spot on. Well done…Jim

Nice shot. Bird does look a little scruffy. Really lots of detail and nice bg and perch. To be honest I have never seen one of these birds but bird in original looks more natural. I really like the nice look back and eye contact.