Black Phoebe and re-post

I liked this one for the setting, especially the curved reed coming at the viewer. The background is duckweed.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D II; Sigma 150-600 at 600; 1/800, f6.3; ISO 250; +2/3

2 Likes

Allen, this is an excellent environmental shot. I love the bent reed, but also that nice complimentary green background. The position and pose of the bird is nice the way he has his head turned. Great shot.

1 Like

A gorgeous composition, Allen. The darker reeds against the duckweed would make a beautiful image all on their own. I like the position of the Phoebe and it gave you a nice head turn. To my eye, it looks as if the face could use a touch of extra sharpening, but that might just be me.

1 Like

I also really like this setting. It’s a very interesting photo. I don’t love the reeds coming out of the phoebe’s head, but that’s not really a big deal. I agree with Dennis. It looks like critical sharpness was on the bird’s wing, so the head needs a touch of additional sharpening. If mine, I’d also try a 16x9 comp. to give a little more space for the bird to look into.

1 Like

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman, @Dennis_Plank, and @Lyle_Gruby for your comments.
I sharpened the head a bit, but too much made for a ragged appearance. I added some canvas to the left, but felt too much created more negative space than I liked. My personal take on the image is that it is about a setting with a bird in it, rather than the bird being the main subject.
Also, does the frame work(seen best against the white background)? Thanks.

2 Likes

Allen: I like this image. The setting is very nice. The curve of the reed the Phoebe is on is wonderful.

I don’t mind the sharpness or the reeds behind the bird as this is a story of where the bird lives and a nice capture of that. Lovely color palette that is soothing to look at. Nicely captured and presented.

1 Like

Nice work, Allen. the frame works for me and the face of the bird is fine.

1 Like

A really nice photo Allen. Everything looks good to me. And nice to see a habitat shot without any habitat in front of bird. I also like the nice curving reed bird is perched on.

1 Like