Black Swallowtail Caterpillar

Here is a caterpillar preparing to enter chrysalis stage. The image is a little busy but I like the way it shows this behavior. The next day he was a full chrysalis.

Canon 1D4, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, 1.4x TC, speedlite
ISO 800, f16, 1.250s

Any comments appreciated.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Very cool, Allen. Looks like an incredible subject for some time-lapse work.

Allen: Looks good. We used to have a lot of these guys in our garden but not for some time now. I got to where I could tell when they were going to emerge and had some luck posing the new butterflies before they could stiffen their wings enough to fly. Great find and a fine capture.>=))>

Hi Allen,

Looks goods.Your flash worked well and the exposure is spot on. If so desired you could remove the OOF stem, but I wouldn’t worry about it. Well done…Jim

Wow, this is really great, Allen. I am getting excited as I plan to plant some herbs in my flower bed and see if I can attract some Swallowtails too. You inspired me with some of these shots! I have been out of town for a couple of weeks, and so just got back on here. Lots of new photos to see.

Allen, it’s always a special treat to find a caterpillar preparing to pupate. I heard folks claim that the transition from “J” to a full chrysalis can be as fast as an hour. Your view of the cat. is excellent. Not sure where you found this, but if possible, moving that lower oof stalk out of the frame would be a nice improvement. The bit of stalk in the upper left looks like Queen Anne’s Lace, in which case this caterpillar didn’t even crawl away from it’s food source to pupate.

Allen: I like seeing the larva in its environment, busy or not. The light that you have created with the flash is subtle and diffuse and serves to bring out detail. Nicely done. Richard