Black-tailed Godwit a.k.a. The King

The Black-tailed Godwits is our ‘national bird’ and is nicknamed ‘king of the farm fields’ as that is their main breeding habitat. Heavily in decline over here, which is even worse as we have some 75% of the NW European population breeding here. Anyway, this morning I came across one, perched on a fence post, on the lookout. Typical Dutch scene, which I wanted to share with you.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D500 with 500mm | 1/1600 | f5 | ISO250 | from car window

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Nice look at the Godwit. Looks as if its trying to walk along the wire. Your story helps set the scene nicely. Very nice complementary background.

1 Like

Excellent image, Hans. I like the aspect ration you chose for the image and the curve of the top of the fence is really cool. Sorry to hear these are in decline. Is it their wintering grounds or something in migration?

@Dennis_Plank: a mix of everything: monoculture over here making the breeding grounds less attractive, and issues along the migration routes (mainly housing and tourism projects at their resting places). Projects in place though. Farmers are compensated keeping parts of their field ‘bird friendly’ and educating locals population along the flyway about the importance of creating sanctuaries etc., hopefully the decline can be reversed a little…

Really nice job on the light, detail, and contrast. Color saturation is perfect. I’ve only seen these in Iceland several years ago but never got any sun the whole week I spent there. The Scandinavian culture was wonderful but not cheap. (I did spend just under a week in Amsterdam in 1963…)

Thanks, David. The ones you have seen on Iceland are a subspecies, the orange goes further down the belly. Even more beautiful to my taste :wink: … we get those only as migrants ! Cheers, Hans

Beautiful bird and background. I’m not generally a fan of man made perches, but the story really helps here. I’d probably clean up the two white spots of excrement on the fence.