Blood Moon

Here’s a photo from last night’s eclipse. It was an interesting night. As the moon approached the full eclipse, a fog started rolling in. The fog obstructed the view just a few minutes after this shot.

I used a Nikon D850 with a Sigma 150-600 sport lens at 600mm, ISO 1600, f8 and 1 second shutter speed.

All comments are welcome, especially recommendations to improve post processing. I added just a touch of contrast and sharpening.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Wonderful, Steve. Your exposure and rich reds look great, and quite good for a 1 second exposure. I’m ashamed to say that mine were a complete bust, but I got some pretty decent frames before the eclipse.

Steve,

Ditto to everything Bill said. Even the part that my attempt last night was a bust as well. One would think, and know, that even the moon and earth move during a 5-second exposure. No wonder my eclipsed moon images aren’t as good as this one. :slight_smile:

Good job. I like the few stars around as well. No nits or suggestions.

Lon

Great shot Steve. I got similar shots with my D500 and a 500mm.
No nits from me, but I’ve been playing around with mine in lightroom and noticed that with an adjustment brush just on the sky and not the moon I can boost the brightness of the stars, so they show up a bit more. It adds to the shot and to me makes it more like what I was seeing. I made adjustments with highlights, whites and clarity with good results.
It was nice to have the moon so dark during the eclipse to be able to capture it and expose for stars.

Thank you for the comments!

Jay, thank you for the suggestion! I followed your suggestion and like the results.