Blue & Gold

Description:

At the edge of the beach at sunset the reflection of the blue sky in the receding waves is lovely against the warm light on the sand. And the low light picks out the subtle details in the water and sand.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Any critique welcome. I accentuates the colors, but I do want this to be mostly realistic.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? No
a7r3, 77mm, f/16, 1/80s, ISO 1000

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.
#ig bonnie_lampley
1 Like

I love the dualities present in this image, Blue and Gold, two rocks, water & sand. Itā€™s all very elemental. At first glance I was bothered by the lines in the sand, but then realized they kind of echoed the wave lines in the water above, so I ended up liking them for that.

The colors are rich, but certainly still within the bounds of looking natural. Wet sand can do some amazing things with light and color. Very nice work on this Bonnie, i love it as presented.

1 Like

This one isnā€™t working for me Bonnie. And even when I look at it for a long time I still feel the same way. Knowing the quality of your work I feel like Iā€™m missing something but Iā€™m just not getting this one.

1 Like

It may be different but I really like it! Nothing wrong (and everything good) about stepping out of the box every so often. @Ed_McGuirk pretty well summed it up.

1 Like

Thanks, @Ed_McGuirk and @Diane_Miller. I agree that we need to step out of our boxes. I donā€™t want to be in a box. :wink:

@Igor_Doncov, yes, this is different in that it is more explicit. I thought about b&w, to be more moody. Hereā€™s that option:

Bonnie I really like the image in color but prefer the b/w, appears more dynamic to me. IMHO I think only 1 object wold make the composition stronger however, seems off balance with both.

Bonnie, I really like this one. The simple composition really works well for this subject matter, and it allows the color and texture to be the star. Nicely seen.

I am new to the network so nice to meet you. For me I prefer the color version. I agree with the others who like the blue/gold color contrast or transition. The only thing I might suggest is the upper left corner has enough texture that I find it somewhat pulling at my attention. Iā€™m not sure if reducing sharpening or perhaps a bit of negative dehaze in that area might work?

Beautiful image, Bonnie! I love the ā€œstreaksā€ in the sand and the texture, but what really grabs me is the coloration. Itā€™s so odd to see such strong blues and golds together and that really draws me in. Question though - did you get these colors by setting two different white balances and blending or were you using a Singh Ray Blue/Gold polarizer, or exactly what? Whatever it was, it looks great.

@Bill_Chambers, thanks. It really was blue and gold, but more subdued, especially the blue. Hence my question whether it was believable. I did cool the blue side a bit.

Thanks, @Mario_Cornacchione. I can see why you would think that only one pebble would make it more balanced, but I rather like a little unbalance in my frames. :slight_smile:

Thanks, @Craig_Moreau and @DeanRoyer. Dean, I thought about dialing back the contrast in the ULC, but decided I was OK with it being sort of prominent. Maybe I will dial it back and see how I like it.