Blue Heron Getting Away.

Updated:

I was at Silverwood Lake Park in Tucson photographing ducks and spotted this bird across the lake, maybe 200 feet away. The bird was just sitting there, but some people with a dog were walking that direction, I knew what was going to happen next. It is amazing how gracefully a large bird lifts up into the air and manages to fly. I was position on the edge of the water across the lake.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I cropped to put the bird on one if the focus points for rule of thirds. Any feedback welcome.

Technical Details

R6m2 RF 100-500 RF 1.4x 631mm 1/1600 f/14 ISO 1600 HH.

A nice flight shot against the environment with enough room for the heron to move into. I like how the underside of the bird and wing has picked up the color and refection of the water.

Hi Dean
I like the framing and low wing positioning of its wings. I have a question on what’s look like an over saturation of the blue in the water and the under side of the Heron wings? The Great Blue also looks a little over sharped?
Peter

Thanks Allen and Peter for the feedback. Peter, I used photo AI but do not think the sharpen AI kicked in. That said I pulled back on clarity in LRC a little. I did reduce the saturation a little bit on the bird but that did not work on the water very well so left that out. There was a lot more blue under the wings than in the first posting so maybe some of that was from the water reflecting light. I think the updated photo looks a little better, more on the clarity.