Bounding Bullock's

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I visited some friend’s this morning on a quest to get some male bullock’s oriole shots after them telling me that they’d been seeing them. It was worth the trip. I saw some, and this was probably my favorite capture of one taking off in front of a shaded hillside BG.

Specific Feedback

Do you think I cropped it about right for the subject’s position and direction?

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, monopod, 1/3200th, f 8.0, 750mm, ISO 5000, LR’s new Denoise feature, cropped to 3249 x 2539

1 Like

Wow! This is beautiful! A wonderful and harmonious story of light, colour and action. Really attention grabbing. I love that the background is that deep rich colour with a bit of gradation so is a beautiful negative space. The crop is difficult for me to decide…i think there is a bit too much space on the left and the tops of the leaves on the left bottom aren’t necessary (crop? clone out?) I would try something more vertical. (One more small thought…i wonder if you could take down the brightness of the leaves a tad so they don’t compete with the staff subject).
Again this is a great photo!

Maybe something like this?

1 Like

What a catch! So energetic and full of life. I’ve never lived in a place that had these so thanks for sharing. I think the repost works pretty well although I think the leaves are a tad dark. They are less intrusive though and I think the crop helped, too. The bird is just too commanding here to risk being upstaged.

When opened large though, the color shifts dramatically and I don’t know why. The first version holds the bright oranges, but the second is really strange looking in the viewer. Maybe when David is back he can address this.

Hi Dave
First impression was, it’s different, striking and I can’t take my eye off the Oriole. I am more conformable with the second posting, but that not saying different and striking a great a photograph.
Peter

Great energy in this image, Dave. The oriole really works against the dark background. I do like the second version better. I’m not seeing the color change that Kris mentions, but that might be my eyes.